Thursday, August 28, 2014

Tangy Green Mango Salad Srilankan Style

It was the first day of the latest Intensive Icing and Cake Decoration Course at mom's place. Her helping hand to cook for the day called in sick. So mom had to juggle with lunch preparation as well for 9 of us along with preparing for the class. She called me before I left from home and asked me to help prepare the salad alone :-)

When I got there, she had a mango ready and I hate cutting raw mangoes :-) She told me all the ingredients. Got working on it and finished within a few minutes. I am not a big fan of raw mangoes but this turned out really tasty. Unfortunately, we did not click any pictures.

Here is the recipe to the Tangy Green Mango Salad. It is a salad popular among the Srilankan Tamil people. Amma says that It used to be in their menu during mango season. Needless to say it is once again a recipe from her mom's kitchen. Hmmm nostalgic memories.

The students relished it and therefore Amma wanted me to share the recipe here as well.

Ingredients: 

1 large raw mango, 2” piece tender ginger, ½ onion, 2 green chilies, ½ cup scraped coconut, salt to taste

Method: Peel the mango & chop fine. Chop the onion, ginger & green chilies & add to the mango. Mix in coconut & salt. Mix well & serve with rice & curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment